Thursday, August 11, 2005

Domestic Abilities

My sister, brother-in-law, and his parents are coming to stay at our house this weekend. Therefore, I am scrambling to get everything cleaned up. This takes me alot longer than most people. I'm not exactly domestic.

Most women have a knack at getting out that stain from your favorite shirt or cleaning the floors so well that you could eat off of them...not me! I'm taking my shirts to my friends and saying, "How do I wash this?" You might say that it's because I am never home, but I have always been this way. That domestic gene just skipped right past me.

I've learned alot since we've been married. For example, I can cook if I follow the recipe to the letter. My mother-in-law saved us by giving me a cookbook with some of her and some of my mom's favorite recipes. However, they often get calls from me asking how much exactly is a dash of salt or 6 scoops of sugar. Even then, Brock usually does most of the cooking. He is a great cook. He never uses recipes. He just goes to the spice rack and starts dumping on the spice!

Is there any hope for me or do I need to hire a cleaning service? I'm the queen of straightening. Everything will be picked up, but don't look too hard in the corners. Plus, when I come off of the road for two months, the last thing I want to do is start cleaning. However, no matter how clean you leave your house, it's dusty and may even have alot of spider webs after you're gone for a long time.

1 comments:

Amber said...

I am a stay at home mom also! I clean my house in a neverending revolving circle, or so it sometimes seems. When I finish cleaning one thing, I turn around and something else is dirty. Through the years I've learned not to sweat the small stuff. Your family probably won't notice much, as long as they have a comfortable bed, good food and great company! Just enjoy them being there!