Tuesday, May 08, 2007

8 Years

Today is our 8 year wedding anniversary. Brock and I were talking the other day about some of our friends who are in the dating scene. It's difficult. We decided that the only way guys learn how to date is from the movies. They portray the absolute wrong way of doing it. The movies say to get the girl by romance. However, usually, movies end when they get together. Therefore, they show you how to get the girl, but not how to keep her. You cannot keep the girl with romance. She'll just expect more and more, and he'll get frustrated and bored.

Brock stated that a better way to do it is to become friends with someone to see if you are compatible. Then, instead of buying her flowers or kissing her (that can come later), you start to take care of her. If that goes well, then, tell her how you feel.

We did it this way by accident. We were best friends who shared everything with each other. We hung out with lots of friends or just the two of us. We also talked about the type of person we wanted to marry. If I had car trouble or something, I knew that Brock would take care of it. Then, one day a light bulb turned on in both of our hearts and minds. We realized that we were in love. Our relationship feels so strong because it's built on friendship and not some fickle romance.

What do you think about dating?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that i am gonna date you today

Anonymous said...

Good advice, Auny!

Congrats on the anniversary! I am sure that you have special plans for each other! Enjoy!

Love ya both!
Mrs. G

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with U. It's nicer to be friends first then the romance thingy. Its sweeter that way too.


Congrats on the anniversary.!!!

1

Amber said...

HAPPY 8 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!! I think you two are AWESOME and absolutely perfect for each other! I hope you have a wonderful day together!!!

kelli beth said...

congratulations! thanks for being a wonderful example of what a marriage should be! :)

ginsmom said...

Congrats! I can't believe it's been eight years!!!!

I agree with you on the dating theory. I never thought about it that way!

I'll have to share your thoughts with a couple of my single friends.

Chad and Rebecca said...

We did not do it that way. I think things may have been a little easier on our relationship if we had been friends for a while. We met and married in 8 months. I did feel that Chad and I had to get to know each other after we were married. We are still going strong after seven years! Thanks to God Almighty!!