Monday, May 14, 2007

Stress

Today, as I was driving to the dentist, my vision began to blur. I thought that maybe I had looked at something too bright. Thinking that everything would be fine when I went into the dentist office, I didn't panic too badly. However, it got progressively worse. I could barely fill out the form they had given me. I've never had any vision problems, so I thought that it was something much more serious. I was convinced that I had a tumor in my brain laying on my nerve connected to my retina until my eye twitched. My eye always twitches when I'm stressed. I've never had blurred vision before, but I told myself that it was just stress. I breathed in and out very deeply several times (I'm sure the people in the dentist office thought that I was crazy). Then, it went away after lasting about 15 minutes proving my theory that it was stress related.

I don't know how to handle all of the pressure that we are under. I used to always be on edge feeling like I could explode at the next person within a close proximity. At times, I did just that. I finally gained control of my emotions where I don't do that anymore. Now, I must be internalizing it because it's affecting me physically.

Most of you know that I have an ulcer that flares up every now and then (not very much lately because I watch what I eat). I also grind my teeth at night. The dentist told me today that I'm just killing my teeth at night. So, how do you control what you are doing while you are sleeping? How do you handle stress? I need a few pointers.

6 comments:

Quatro said...

I wish I could give you some pointers, but I'm not good at handling stress either! I would REALLY like to meet someone who is! I get really frazzled and blow up at anybody in close proximity, when I'm stressed! I'm working on this also, so I would love a few pointers too!!!

~Amber

Angi said...

A couple years ago, I was just worn out. I was exhausted, stressed, and at the end of my rope. It just so happened that I then had the first vacation in my 15 years of marriage given to me. A 11 day cruise for husband and me (and my dad, his girlfriend, and my grandma). This was our first cruise. And I tell you, there is no feeling like laying out in the sun that first day on the ship, knowing you have 10 more days of no laundry, no cooking, no planning, no bill paying, nothing but relaxing, having fun, and eating. I came home from that and have never been the same since! I really suggest it - even though you are probably saying to yourself that you are not the cruise type.
I don't know you, except through your blog - but looking in from the outside, perhaps you two are just SO BUSY! I know that is what wore me down. You are constantly on the road, out with friends, visiting, performing, etc. Having to always be "on" is draining. Perhaps getting off somewhere where no one knows who you are, expects nothing of you, you are anomyous (spelling?), for about 10 days would help restore your sanity. Just a suggestion, based on what worked for me.
Oh, and lest I forget something else really important in the whole equation - turn it all over to God. Really. Let. Him. Have. It.
I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

i know for the grinding the teeth you can get a mouth peice/gaurd to wear at night. hopes this helps

Anonymous said...

During a very stressful time in my life, I started Yoga. It really helps, clear your mind and body. I've even seen some Yoga tapes/cds that have Christian music. It couldn't hurt. Yoga has been proven to aid digestion and also help individuals who have arthritis. Be good to yourself because when you take care of you, you're also taking care of Brock.

Breathe easy!
Teresa in Georgia

Anonymous said...

Holy cow Auny. That is not good! I just got a mouthpiece for grinding teeth from the dentist. It helps. Auny, you don't show your stress. Can I help with stuff at home? Let me know1

AUNY said...

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I feel a lot better. Mom told me that you just learn as you get older how to handle stress. I'm not on edge anymore. Now, I just need to work on not showing stress physically.