Saturday, October 13, 2007

Brainstorming How to Make It on the Road

This past week, we had a couple come to visit us. He's been a traveling speaker for years. She goes with him as much as possible (even with 4 kids!). It was so good to talk with her and hear about how she handles this unique way of life. It is different. Nobody quite knows how to handle someone who spends most of their time on the road except others who do the same.

On Thursday morning, we had breakfast with girls whom we hadn't seen in a long time. They are in a band and have been doing this for ten years just like us. I told them that someone had said that people don't usually make it that long on the road. My answer to that was: "I feel like after ten years, we finally have it half way figured out. I don't want to stop now." The girls said that they feel the same way. It took those ten years of experience to learn how to handle this life.

Then, we began to talk about taking care of ourselves out on the road, because we all want to do this for another ten years. How do you spend months at a time away from your own bed, food, and community and survive? One of the girls said that we need to brainstorm how to do this. It was so good to hear of their struggles and totally being able to relate. The victories are numerous, but they are easy to handle. The struggles that can be numerous are not so easy.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I have no internet, and i´m working and the clases i have no time to go to a cybercafe... My cousing didn´t pay the bill and now i don´t have phone eather hahahahaha Now i´m in saltillo. And i´m in my house.
I take a little time to come and say hello.
Maybe i´ll have a surgery the last days of october. If i get this surgery... i´ll not go to the FX. But if i do it later, i´ll go. I don´t know yet.
In the moment i know, i´ll go to a cyercoffee and send you a message. I hope i can have internet soon. Because i can check everything but in the nights, and at that time i don´t like to be on the street walking.
Sorry to not comment about your post, actually i didn´t read it. I have to go, i arrive now and i have to take a shower and make up to go to the party hahaha that´s why i come to saltillo.
I hope everythinbg is going well. You all are always in my hearth and mind. I never forgot you people. You have a mark on my heart and is difficult to erase. Actually i was talking to someone about you guys... iu don´t remember who..
I love you all soooo much!! and if i can´t go now and see you in the FX i´ll go other day. That´s for sure.
Thank you goys for everything.
see you soon!!!

AUNY said...

I miss you too! I hope that you can get your internet and phone back in service. Are you having a big surgery?