Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Intercessory Prayer Part 6: A Story

In December of 2005, I went to lunch with my friends, Heather and Susan. As Heather was talking, the Lord whispered a prophecy in my ear. Half of it was good. The other half was the beginning of the longest stint of personal prayer that I’d ever done for someone.

The pregnant Heather was telling us that her doctor said that her body was trying to have her baby now. She was only a few months along. As she continued to share her concern, I heard very clearly “Heather’s baby is fine, but Susan is not.” I didn’t know what to do with that. It was so strong that I actually got nauseous.

Right after Christmas, I saw Heather and she had just been to another doctor to get a second opinion. With a look of elation in her eyes, she said, “The baby’s fine!” At that point, I was excited for Heather, but my heart sunk for Susan because half of the words that I had received had been true. Did that mean that Susan was in danger of dying or not being able to have a baby or what?

That weekend, I went into my room and pleaded with the Lord to change His mind. I’d heard of a few instances in scripture where He changed His mind. I fervently prayed for Susan to the point of tears and crying out to God.

About a month later, Susan told us that she was pregnant. I thought that maybe the Lord had decided to change His mind. Maybe everything would be okay! However, deep in my heart, I knew that something bad was still awaiting Susan and her baby.

In May, we went on vacation together with Susan and her husband, Rod. The day we flew out was the same day that they were going to the doctor to find out if they were having a boy or a girl. It would also be the day that they would find out if there were any physical problems with the baby. I was praying that everything would be just fine, and it was. We then found out that the baby was a girl who would be named Anna. So, from then on, my prayers were for Susan and Anna.

On Thursday, September 21st, I called Susan, who wasn’t due for another two weeks, to see if they wanted to eat dinner with us the following night. Susan did not answer and I just knew that she was going into labor. I also felt the urgency to pray. I prayed for her all day and night. The next morning, she and Anna were the first people on my mind. I told Brock to call Rod because I thought that Susan was having her baby. Brock called and Rod said that yes, she was about to give birth in the next couple of hours. We later received news that everything was fine.

It wasn’t until a couple of weeks later that I heard otherwise. I happened to see one of Susan’s friends at the park one day. She told me what an ordeal that Susan went through during the birth of Anna. She told me how touch and go it was for a while. Anna was placed in ICU for the first four hours of her life and Susan almost died. Susan's dad was already talking about arrangements if Susan did not make it. However, they were both fine now. A peace from heaven came over me because I knew that this was what the Lord had warned me about 10 months before. I knew that my part in all of this in prayer was over and it was a happy ending and beginning!

I know that Susan went through a lot, but it could have been worse. The Lord has plans for Susan and Anna. There is a reason that He had me pray for them so far in advance even before Anna existed. He knows all. He sees all. He loves all.

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or even imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations for ever and ever!” Ephesians 3:20-21

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is such a blessing to me!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That touched my heart! I know what it is like to have a person close to you with pregnancy complications! It is hard on everybody! God Bless you for being so caring, Auny!!!
God Bless,
Britany

ginsmom said...

Hey Auny, I've been jammed up the past few days, so I'm behind on blogging. I just read all six parts of your intercessory prayer journal, and it was such a blessing...maybe you should turn it into a book or something...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Gin! A book would certainly be great!

These blogs have been very encouraging and instructive!

It is certainly uplifting to be able to pray for others...especially when God is the one giving the instructions! I think that it is great that He allows us to participate with Him!

Mrs. G

AUNY said...

Gin and Mrs. Godbey, you both have taught me so much about prayer. Gin taught me to be led by the Spirit when it comes to what to pray about. Mrs. Godbey, you taught me that the Lord is not restricted to earthly time. I'm so thankful for you both!