Monday, October 29, 2007

Day of Rest

Today, I'm taking a day of rest. We got to my parents' house late Saturday night and woke up early yesterday morning to take Brock to the airport. Last night, I helped my parents with a big Fall Festival at their church. It was fun! Now, I need to take advantage of this time while mom and dad are at work to rest. That's exactly what I'm going to do.

I'm sure in any job, but particularly ministry, you could work as much as you want to. It's almost like cleaning your house. There is always something you could be doing. My dad does a good job of setting boundaries. He's able to do affective ministry without neglecting his family or himself. He knows how to set some limits and how to tactfully say "no" when necessary.

I'm trying to learn how to do this myself. It's impossible for me to control my schedule. However, I can control my days that I'm not on the road. What I've decided to do recently is to give myself a break. Whenever I'm home, I don't talk with people in the office about work stuff unless it's absolutely necessary. Also, even if I should do the laundry and clean the bathrooms, I don't do it if I don't feel like it that day. I can do that the next day. If I wake up on a morning in which I intended to rest but am feeling productive instead, I go ahead and get some things done. Basically, I take cues from how I feel.

Maybe some of you should give yourselves a break. Even if you are planning to take some extra work home this weekend to "get ahead," you may want to hang out with friends or family instead. If some of you moms are planning on getting some housework done while your child is napping, maybe you need a nap too! Unless you're a heart surgean, nobody is going to die if you let something slide until tomorrow.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunday was a week ago an assistant principal within our school system died suddenly of a heartattack. She was 43. She was seemingly in perfect health, just very busy, working on her doctrate, starting a new job, new marriage etc. Rest is important. I figure we are suggposed to take our "cues" on life from our creator...after all He rested after His work of creation was complete. Sunday is now a day of rest for me. I go to church, eat lunch with family and take an afternoon nap. If we don't take care of ourselves, how can we be of service to others? I think this is a true part of servitude, realizing our limitations and recognizing our need for rest.

We need to be still...and know that He is God.

Have a restful time with your family.

Teresa